Saturday, October 8, 2022

Good News


Waking this morning with gratitude in my heart and good news in my hands.

Late yesterday, my wonderful doctor handed me favorable news— no progression, no new growth and stable mets. There was even some shrinkage of lymph nodes and a couple of spots in my pelvis. “This is excellent news,”she said. “Your current treatment is working.” I don’t think she had finished her sentence before my tears began to flow. The weight began to lift. Praise Jesus.
For those of you interested in the science/medicine—this week’s scan is something brand new. Just this summer a new type of PET/CT was approved in Georgia. It’s called the FES PET and it measures estrogen instead of glucose. It’s a huge advancement for hormone positive breast cancer. Strangely enough, my cancer wasn’t able to be seen on traditional PET, therefore, last fall (literally a year ago this week) we thought we had received good news when the scan came back “all clear.” But it was misleading. There was, indeed, cancer present, just not readable cancer. As we found out earlier this year with further testing and biopsy. Confused? Yes, we were too. But lobular cancer especially isn’t always read on traditional modalities. So, this new (estrogen) tracing ability is more accurate for women like me.
When I went in for the scan this week the technician told me I was the first patient to be scanned this way at that particular location.
Not that long ago, Metastatic Breast Cancer (MBC) was considered a death sentence. In 2022, because of the advancements made in recent years, we now have the ability to (possibly) manage it as a chronic disease. How amazing to be living in these times and get to see such steps forward.
I am thankful for research, medicine and science.
I am grateful for those who push forward in finding new treatments.
I give God the glory for all of it.
In breast cancer awareness month, I urge you to keep in mind, every woman’s journey is different. Like with most things, there’s a wide spectrum when it comes to the diagnosis and disease. We must be careful to get informed and recognize this fact.
Thank you, dear friends, for standing and, more importantly, kneeling with us.🙏🏻

No comments: